01922 639080 209 - 212 Stafford Street, Walsall, West Midlands, WS2 8DW

Do you need a survey when buying a home?

When buying a new home, you take a big risk if you don’t properly investigate the property and any issues it might have. Failing to identify problems up front can mean you end up overpaying for a property, being left with unexpected expenses or being left with a home you don’t feel happy living in.

It is strongly recommended to get a professional survey to look at the condition of the property itself and identify any potential problems.

Types of homebuyers’ surveys

A survey will involve a professional surveyor – who should normally be a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) member – inspecting the building and looking for specific issues. There are various different types of survey you can have that vary in scope, with the more in-depth options being more expensive.

There are four main types of homebuyers’ survey you should consider:

Condition Report – The most basic type of survey, this uses a ‘traffic light’ system to give an idea of the state of various parts of the property. Green means an area is okay, orange indicates some cause for concern and red means serious repairs are needed. A Condition Report will also provide a summary of risks to the building but will not include specific advice on what needs to be done to remedy any problems.

HomeBuyers Report – A more detailed survey that will identify major issues such as rot or subsidence as well as a valuation and an insurance reinstatement value. This type of survey is non-intrusive, meaning the surveyor will not move furniture, lift floorboards, drill holes or in any other way interfere with the fabric of the building to investigate any potential problems.

Home Condition Survey – This type of survey is provided by the Residential Property Surveyors Association (RPSA) rather than RICS and includes information such as broadband speed, a damp assessment and any boundary issues. A Home Condition Survey is likely to be carried out in addition to the other types of surveys mentioned here, rather than being a substitute for them.

Building Survey – The most expensive and most comprehensive type of survey, this includes much more thorough investigation of a property. The surveyor will check lofts, behind walls, between floors and above ceilings. The survey will include specific advice on required repairs, how long they will take and what they should cost, as well as details of what can happen if the repair work is not carried out.

What type of homebuyers’ survey do you need?

What type of survey you will need is entirely dependent on the circumstances and the type of property.

You should also consider if there are any visible signs of issues such as damp or subsidence that you will want investigated. It is worth bearing in mind that new build properties are not always free from issues, so it is worth doing some research to see if the developer has a history of problems with their properties.

Your conveyancer should be able to advise you on what type of survey they believe is likely to be worth considering.

Get reliable conveyancing to avoid being caught out when buying a new home

Walker Solicitors are a Conveyancing Quality Scheme accredited law firm offering conveyancing services for homeowners across England and Wales.

We provide fast, reliable and cost-effective conveyancing for all types of residential properties. Our conveyancing team can advise you on all the appropriate checks, searches and surveys you should consider helping to ensure you aren’t caught out by any nasty surprises after buying a new home.

To find out more about our residential property conveyancing services, call us today on 01922 639080.

Proud sponsor of Walsall College business hub

Walker Solicitors is a trade name of Walker Solicitors Ltd. Registered in England (Company No: 9608224). Registered office: 209-212 Stafford Street, Walsall WS2 8DW. A list of members is available for inspection at this office. We use the word ‘partner’ to refer to a member of the company or an employee or consultant who is a solicitor with equivalent standing and qualification.

The firm is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority - No:000623514

© 2020 Walker Solicitors